Friday, June 24, 2011

Running is the Devil . . . but so are those people who almost run you over

Ok- so if you know me, you're aware that I am a complete gym rat in the sense that I do not enjoy running. Nor do I enjoy running outside, and therefore prefer the amenities provided to me in an enclosed and air-conditioned space to those elements gracing the outside world. I mostly despise the fact that if I run outside, I don't have the option of pushing the big red STOP button to cease my workout . . . instead, I am forced to continue running until I get home (to where my couch and a glass of white wine is waiting). Well, the other day I broke my cardinal rule and didn't even go to the gym. Rather, I was one of those people who said, oh my gosh it is so beautiful out- I think I will be a true Northwesterner and go running outside! So I did. It was fine. Except that I wanted to stop after approximately five minutes and when I really thought I should stop, I found out that I had only been running for a mere 20 minutes. FAIL. Nevertheless, this story isn't so much about my running failure as it is about the failure of those driving vehicles while pedestrians are running.

I will happily admit that I am a rule-follower. I DO NOT jaywalk because I have no desire to die by crushing of an on-coming vehicle. Well, let's just say that even abiding by this rule, I do not feel safe walking or running in downtown Seattle. This is because people driving are so eager to turn right on a damn red light that they cease to look at the people who might appropriately be using the crosswalk. THUS, I am forced to give them the stinkeye everytime they try to run me over. This seriously happened like 5 times on my run. In one instance I actually banged on a man's SUV car door because he didn't even see me and would have run me over if I hadn't seen him. RUDE.

Anyway, I will no longer be running outside . . . EXCEPT when I am running around Greenlake where there are no cars and only cute puppies to stare at.

No comments:

Post a Comment